INTERREG VA Programme Overview Edit By KV

Submitted by euadm3 on Wed, 12/07/2016 - 16:03

What is the INTERREG VA Programme?

Map of NI, Border Region of Northern Ireland and Scotland


The €283m INTERREG VA Programme is one of 60 similar funding programmes across the European Union that have been designed to help overcome the issues that arise from the existence of a border. These issues range from access to transport, health and social care services, environmental issues and enterprise development.

Since 1991 the INTERREG Programme has brought in approximately €1.13 billion into the region. This funding has been used to finance thousands of projects that support strategic cross-border co-operation in order to create a more prosperous and sustainable region. The new programming period for 2014-2020 provides opportunity for continued EU assistance to help create a more prosperous and sustainable cross-border region.

INTERREG VA also has a National Contact Point based in Glasgow to facilitate Scottish involvement in the Programme, who can be reached via email here or by Tel: +44 141 228 2202

In total 85% of the Programme, representing €240m is provided through the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).  The remaining €43m, representing 15% is match-funded by the Irish Government and the Northern Ireland Executive. The content of the new INTERREG VA Programme has been agreed by the Northern Ireland Executive, the Irish Government, the Scottish Government and the European Commission.  It has four core objectives where it will make a real and lasting change in terms of:

  • Research & Innovation for cross-border enterprise development
  • Environmental initiatives
  • Sustainable Transport projects, and
  • Health & Social Care services on a cross-border basis.
  • NOPE!!!

Where can I get more information about the Programme?

A copy of the full content of the Cooperation Programme for INTERREG VA is available here.

A Citizen's Summary of this document is available here.

An Irish version of the Summary is also available here.

If you have any queries in relation to the INTERREG VA Programme please email them to

Inner Banner Image

Sign up for the